The red brick walk outlines the quintessential suburban comforts – it passes a Honda Pilot in the driveway, winds through a manicured lawn, and ends at the white columned entrance to the Malik family’s spacious newly built home.
But, says Salman Malik, who immigrated to the United States from Pakistan at age 9, there’s something missing: “In the US, Muslim kids are in trouble [because] they lack role models and institutions.”
And here, on the outskirts of Manchester, N.H., it’s far from any Muslim community; a fledgling mosque is under construction, but it’s a small institution without many services. So Mr. Malik and his wife, Romana, “have to step in to fill that void,” he says. “We have no choice. Their [Muslim] identity is very important to us. We want to make sure they know who they are.”
More to come, please come back again!
Join 503 other followers
- 21 Safar Urs of Pir SM Rasheed-ul-Hasan Jeeli-ul-Kaleemi (ra), Hyderabad, India, 1435AH/2013CE September 18, 2022
- 1 Muharram 1444 – Kul Am Wa Antum Bikhayr – Hijri New Year July 28, 2022
- Ramadhan 1443 Journey in Love May 1, 2022
- Get ready for the last ten days of Ramadan – Freedom April 21, 2022
- 14th Ramadan Urs Bayazid Bastami, 874CE, Bastam, Iran April 15, 2022